1912 campus master plan commissioned by President John A. Widstoe
President John A. Widtsoe
In 1912, President Widtsoe engaged the east coast architectural firm of Pray, White and Hubbard to produce the first campus master plan. The plan clearly laid out the central campus, placing prospective buildings east of Old Main along the north and south sides of a campus green, today’s Quad. While the architects provided a vision for ordering the campus, they gave little advice concerning the type of trees and other ornamentals to plant. Therefore, the sprouting Agricultural College sought outside assistance to beautify its grounds.