Front view of the Thomas Smart Gymasium, c. 1940s
Smart Gymnasium (1912-1969)
In 1912, Board of Trustee member Thomas Smart donated funds to construct a college gymnasium. The Smart Gymnasium offered exercise facilities for the student body including a heated pool. Most importantly, however, it provided a home for Aggie basketball, previously relegated to leasing facilities at its chief, local rival, the Brigham Young College. Razed in 1969, the Smart Gym became a parking lot until construction of today’s Live Learning Community.