View of the Merrill Library from the northwest, 1940s
In 1930, a $175,000 state appropriation enabled construction of the first campus library building. Quickly outgrowing the 80,000-book and 300-student capacity, the university expanded the library in 1966 by essentially building a brick and mortar box around the existing structure. Named for retiring VP Milton R. Merrill in 1970, the library again outgrew itself. In 2003, the university planned to conjoin the Science and Technology Library, named after retired president, Stanford O. Cazier, with a new facility. The resulting Merrill-Cazier Library opened in 2005, as crews demolished the old Merrill Library. Today, the Stan Albrecht Agriculture Sciences building occupies the space of the former library.
Students at the College Bluebird, 1947
College Bluebird (1920-1974)
While not part of the campus proper, the College Bluebird holds a special place in the heart of many former Aggies. The Cardon family opened the extension of the downtown café on College Hill during the 1920s. The ban on campus smoking, which endured until after WWII, made the “Bird” a favorite hangout for those students and faculty who enjoyed a cigarette with their coffee. Although it remained open until 1974, the Cardon family sold the property to the LDS Church in 1962. Today, sections of the LDS Institute of Religion occupy the site of the former College Bluebird.