Historical Photograph Meme Contest : Contest Rules
Contest Rules (2017)
Use a historical photo from USU’s Digital Collections, create a "meme," make us laugh, and win!
The Library is hosting a contest to create a "meme" from our historical photo collections in USU’s Digital Collections.
Only entries using images from USU's Digital Collections will be considered.
No swearing, crude language, or mean-spirited entries will be accepted (we’re a community, after all). Please do not personally attack the people in the historical images in USU's Digital Collectons. They could be someone’s grandparents! Be thoughtful about the entries you create—we want to share them with the world and think you can come up with some funny, smart entries using the images.
How to Enter
1) FIND AN IMAGE:
Browse the images in USU's Digital Collections. Once you have identified an image, click the "download" button near the upper right corner of the page. Here are some suggested digital collections to explore:
- The Compton Studio Photograph Collection
- The Monumental Highway Digital Collection
- The Utah State University Historical Photo Collection
- Agricultural College of Utah Cyanotypes Collection
These collections are a good starting point; however, feel free to use any of the images in USU's Digital Collections. For more information on searching our historical photos, go to "How to Search USU's Digital Collections."
2) CREATE YOUR MEME:
Go to http://memedad.com/ (or your preferred meme generator) to upload your image from USU's Digital Collection. Add your text to the image. Right-click on the image with your text and save it to your device.
3) SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
Submit your entry by emailing it to email@example.com. Use “Historical Photo Meme Contest” as the subject line.
For your entry to be considered, include the following in your email:
- Your name
- Your "meme" as an attachment
- A link to the original image in USU’s Digital Collections
- Indicate whether you are:
- a current USU student (and your major)
- a community member (anyone that is not a current USU student)
How to Win!
DEADLINE: Submit your entry by Friday, October 13, 2017 at 11:59 PM (MST).
FINALISTS: Library staff members will review entries and select the finalists.
On Monday, October 16, 2017 finalists will be notified via email that their entry has been selected for the final round. The finalists’ entries will be posted to an album on the Merrill-Cazier Library Facebook page and opened for voting.
VOTING: The voting period will run from Monday, October 16 to Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 5:00 PM (MST). The winning memes will be the top three entries with the most “likes” on Facebook at the time the voting period ends. Voting is open to all.
But what do I win?
First place: $50 gift card to the USU Campus Store
Second place: $30 gift card to the USU Campus Store
Third place: $20 gift card to the USU Campus Store
Terms and Conditions
- There is no fee to participate.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries a participant can submit.
- Employees of USU Libraries (excluding student employees and interns) are not eligible to participate in the contest and win.
- Utah State University’s Merrill-Cazier Library does not endorse the content of any memes created for this contest other than finalists’ entries.
- We have the right to reject submissions for violations of, but not limited to, inappropriate content, defamation, or copyright issues.
- The Merrill-Cazier Library reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at its sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
- The Merrill-Cazier Library reserves the right not to select finalists if, at its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- Entering the contest grants the Merrill-Cazier Library permission to make public and otherwise use an entrant’s name and meme for publicity purposes.
- Participation constitutes the entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. By participating in the Contest, the entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between the entrant and the Merrill-Cazier Library in relation to the Contest. They govern the entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the entrant and the Merrill-Cazier Library and relating to the Contest.