Outdoor Recreation Catalogs & Magazines
With its explosive growth over the last few decades, the outdoor industry has firmly positioned itself as a significant part of the commercial, environmental, and social fabric of the country. One way to examine this impact is through gear catalogs, which represent the culmination of a company’s work, from the design and development of the products to marketing and promotion of the brand, and how this process changed over time. They also tell us a great deal about consumers, including their style preferences and how they experienced the outdoors.
Utah State University (USU) Libraries’ Outdoor Recreation Catalogs & Magazines collection represents an ongoing effort to collect these catalogs and other outdoor recreation publications. Within this digital exhibit, you can browse, by company, the covers of more than 1,300 issues from manufacturers like Lowe Alpine and Sierra Designs to retailers like Eastern Mountain Sports and REI. You will also find publications for outdoor enthusiasts, like Backpacker magazine and Ski Research News.
If you have questions about the collection or would be interested in donating any catalogs or magazines we are missing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Elizabeth Clemens: Scanning, metadata creation/entry, exhibit construction
- Monique Davila: Scanning, metadata creation/entry, exhibit construction
- Shay Larsen: Graphic design
- Malori Menck: Scanning
- Clint Pumphrey: Project curator
- Darcy Pumphrey: Digital project coordinator
- Branson Roskelley: Digital project coordinator
- Blane Santilli: Scanning
- Abby Thorne: Copy editing, metadata creation/entry, exhibit construction
- Megan Wilson: Scanning